Wednesday, October 3, 2007

2007-08 NHL Predictions.

The 0708 NHL Regular Season officially began last Saturday but lets be honest the season doesn't really begin until The Montreal Canadiens play their first game. Last time we chatted, I said I really liked Kyle Chipchura to make the team and he did. Im happy for him. As for Carey Price, I would have put him on my team as well, but I am surprised that he'll start the season with the Canadiens. Two weeks ago, head coach Guy Carbonneau said Price would be #1 somewhere, needless to say this was Bob Gainey's decision and I applaud it. Im still not sold on Grabovski making the team, but if the line of Grabovski, Kovalev and Kostitsyn produce than thats all that matters. On the surface, it just seems like another small player on a small team. All that being said, I do think the Canadiens are slightly better than last year. Below are 5 reasons y:

1) better goaltending duo
2) coach is no longer a rookie
3) hamrlik upgrade defensively over souray
4) smolinski better all round than bonk
5) i expect more point production from young players and vets too (kovalev)

But even though I think The Canadiens are slightly better. For now, I dont have them in my Top 8. Here are my predicitions.

1- OTTAWA
2- NY RANGERS
3- CAROLINA
4- PITTSBURGH
5- BUFFALO
6- NEW JERSEY
7- PHILADELPHIA
8- TAMPA BAY

NB. The Habs will be 1 of those teams battling for the 8th spot. Its not impossible.

In the West:

1- DETROIT
2- SAN JOSE
3- VANCOUVER
4- ANAHEIM
5- MINNESOTA
6- CALGARY
7- COLORADO
8- DALLAS

For all you poolers; PJ Stock and I had a hockey pool on-air earlier today. We picked 15 different players each. All players points will be accounted for: Here it is:

My Team

1- SIDNEY CROSBY
2- DANY HEATLEY
3- JASON SPEZZA
4- VINCENT LECAVALIER
5- MARIAN HOSSA
6- EVGENI MALKIN
7- OLLI JOKINEN
8- ILYA KOVALCHUK
9- PAVEL DATSYUK
10- HENRIK ZETTERBERG
11- MARTIN ST LOUIS
12- BRAD RICHARDS
13- ERIC STAAL
14- JAROME IGINLA
15- SCOTT GOMEZ

PJ's Team

1- JOE THORNTON
2- JAROMIR JAGR
3- JOE SAKIC
4- ALEXANDER OVECHKIN
5- MARC SAVARD
6- DANIEL BRIERE
7- MICHAEL NYLANDER
8- DANIEL ALFREDSSON
9- RYAN SMYTH
10- ALEXANDER SEMIN
11- SIMON GAGNE
12- MARIAN GABORIK
13- THOMAS VANEK
14- MARTIN HAVLAT
15- MIKE CAMMALLERI

Honestly, I like my team....barring injuries; I will prevail.

By now you have probably heard of the programming change at THE TEAM 990. Over the past year, the station has received many emails from listeners who wanted more local programming and more hockey talk. Well, starting Monday, October 8th I will be on 1 more hour per day and so will PJ. The Montreal Forum will be on weekdays between 10am and Noon. Furthermore, PJ and I will be on-air together between Noon and 1pm. And, PJ will host The Stock Exchange weekdays between 1pm to 3pm. Basically, we eliminate ESPN Radio for now, and have 2 more hours of hockey talk.

I also wanted to add that I will host @18 Mtl Canadiens Week in Review Shows (Saturdays between 4pm and 6pm) and co-host The Montreal Canadiens Pregame Show on Saturdays as well. Last but not least, I will host and co-host @ 70 of 82 Montreal Canadiens Postgame Shows. Lots of work ahead....put Im very much looking forward to it.

Thanks for all your emails....talk to you soon.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Tony,

How did you get your JOB, did the
station loose a BET!!!


Scottie

Lynch Mob said...

Personally, i think you're one of the best hockey minds in the city. You don't watch the games with bleu/blanc/rouge glasses. This earns you tons credit. It would be easy to go along with the mental pro-Habs media 110% of the time. But you say it like you see it.

Tony, you always treat your callers with much respect and take the time to show patience.

Keep up the great work!

Editor said...

Bid on rare Habs items!

http://habsreport.blogspot.com

Martin Prémont said...

2007 oh...

Unknown said...

l

Unknown said...

To use some of your own words... "I'll tell you the truth" or "i'm not going to lye to you" ..."let's put the cards on the table" ... blah, blah,blah... Just want to point out that since your "great" observation that Zdeno Chara 6'9" and 270lbs had (again using some of your words) demolished, manhandle, obliterated, taken away his mojo, hawks are done... Chicago's Bryan Bickell 6'4" 230lbs ... Well Chara is -7 and Bruins are 0-2 ... You should , since working daily alongside the courageous Chris Nilan that in a fight it's not always about winning, especially when facing a must bigger foe , it's about showing up, taking a stand and keep coming back at him , at all cost! Sooo ... I suggest my portly little friend , stick to soccer and cannoli !